14th May 2002
Supporting People with Disabilities
Sinn Fein's candidate for Dublin West, Mary Lou McDonald, responding to the publication of the Disability Federation report today, said that the rights and needs of people with disabilities must be a Government priority. Ms. McDonald said:
``People who suffer disability need more resources invested in them and their families to ensure equality of access to education, health, transport services and to the workplace.
``The State must recognise that everybody has the right to a dignified standard of living and general life experience. The rights and needs of people with disabilities must be a priority in the new Dail.''
Sinn Fein Proposes: -
- An Independent Living Fund for people with disabilities.
- Direct payments to people with disabilities and their personal assistants.
- Increased and secured financial support for those providing services including day resource centres and personal assistance services.
- Introduction of a cost of disability living allowance as recommended by the Commission for Status of People with Disabilities.
- Increase in the Mobility Allowance.
- Financial support for full-time carers through the increase of the Carer's Allowance and an end to the means test.
- Funding to continue progress in cutting waiting lists for people with mental handicaps or intellectual disabilities.
Sinn Fein Press Office, 44 Parnell Square, Dublin 1
Tel: +353-1-8726100 and +353-1-8726839 · Fax +353-1-8733074
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org · Website: http://www.sinnfein.org
Sinn Fein · Sinn Fein Documents