For too long environmental issues have been divorced from the social
realities of everyday life. Sinn Fein is committed to correcting that
imbalance. We cannot hope to eradicate our consume-and-throw-society
overnight but we can begin by making changes at homes and in the workplace.
The aim must be to create less pollution, use energy wisely, reuse and
recycle waste and establish integrated transport systems. Sinn Fein will
campaign for a better environment by:
- opposing the building of a national incinerator
- continuing to support local communities in the campaign against nuclear
dumping in the Irish sea.
- calling for the closure of Sellafield
- supporting incentives to minimise the production of waste and encourage
- supporting the use of an eco tax to deter companies from over packaging
- reducing the use of non bio-degradable plastic
- encouraging the development of organic farming and ban genetically
- making the control of water pollution in coastal water and in rivers a